Dirk Powell – Songs from the Mountain
Dirk Powell is an American fiddler and banjo player. He is considered one of the world's leading experts on traditional Appalachian fiddle and banjo styles. Powell is also a recording engineer and producer, with, as of 2018, his own Cypress House Studio in Beaux Bridge, near Lafayette, Louisiana.
Powell has won four Grammy Awards and has been a guest on American television shows including Late Night with David Letterman, the Today Show, and American Masters. He was a longtime member of the Cajun band Balfa Toujours. Powell has recorded with Rhiannon Giddens, Loretta Lynn, Irma Thomas, Tim O'Brien, Kyle Carey and Eric Clapton.
- If I Go Ten Thousand Miles (Rounder, 1996)
- Songs from the Mountain (Howdy Skies, 1999)
- Tony Furtado & Dirk Powell (Rounder, 1999)
- Hand Me Down (Rounder, 1999)
- Time Again (Rounder, 2004)
- A Fret Free Christmas (Valcour, 2010)
- Walking Through Clay (Sugar Hill/Welk Music Group, 2014)
- I Wanna Sing Right: Rediscovering Lomax in the Evangeline Country four-EP set - various artists (Valcour Records, 2015)
- Cajun Accordion Kings (and the Queen) various artists (Valcour Records, 2015)
See also Balfa Toujours.
- Jeffries, David. "Dirk Powell Biography". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- Giddens, Rhiannon (Introduction); Powell, Dirk (Producer's Note); Track Notes by group members/producer (2019). Borden, Carla (ed.). "Liner Notes: Songs of Our Native Daughters" (pdf). folkways.si.edu. Smithsonian Folkways. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- "Dirk Powell Biography". Dirk Powell. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- "Valcour Records". Valcour Records. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "Dirk Powell | Album Discography | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 29 October 2016.